½ of red bell pepper, diced
A quarter of yellow onion, diced
1 clove garlic, diced
2 tbs vegetable oil
12 strips of bacon, cut in half
2 tbs molasses
83 oz of baked beans (I used 53 oz can of Van Camp Baked Beans and 2 15 oz cans of Van Camp Baked Beans)
1 cup ketchup
1 tsp yellow mustard
½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbs onion powder
½ tbs garlic powder
1 tsp ground paprika
1 tsp chili powder
¾ cup white sugar
¾ cup dark brown sugar
2 tbs butter, melted
½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Couple dashes of hot sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a pan add 2 tbs vegetable oil. Add bacon and place over medium high heat. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until crispy. Remove bacon from pan and reserve ½ of bacon grease in pan.
- Add onions and peppers into pan and cook for 10-12 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Chop 6 pieces of bacon and set aside.
- In a large baking pan, add beans, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, white sugar, vinegar, and hot sauce. Mix thoroughly.
- Add chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, chopped bacon, molasses, and butter. Mix thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- **Add additional vinegar, white sugar, brown sugar, or hot sauce if desired. Add to your tasting; see note.** **(Garlic will be pungent initially, see note)**
- Place remaining 6 strips of bacon on top of baked beans. Cover with foil and place into oven.
- Bake for 45 minutes – 1 hr., removing foil halfway through. When done, beans should have darkened in color and begin to bubble.
- Remove from pan and topped with chopped parsley. Serve and enjoy!
- Make sure to taste beans before you put them into the oven to bake.
- Feel free to add additional/less sugar, vinegar, or hot sauce. Add to your tasting.
- Garlic will be pungent before baking. Remember, we are only cooking it for 30 seconds prior to baking. Once the beans have baked, the garlic will mellow out.
- And lastly remember to have fun cooking!! 😊