Buffalo chicken wings … LAWD HAVE MERCY! That’s literally all I can say when I think about these here Buffalo chicken wings! You know a recipe is too dang good when you get hungry just thinking about it. Whew! Seriously, let me calm myself down so I can explain to y’all how this all went down.
First off, I am so excited to be back in the kitchen creating recipes and videos for all of you amazing people! Mann, I really think I had way too much fun from filming this video, creating the recipe, and actually making these super addicting Buffalo Chicken Wings. In the words of the legendary Ice Cube, “It was a good day!”
These wings here aren’t average y’all, trust me. It all starts with double coating AND double frying to get a wing so crispy it’ll make you slap yo mama! That cornstarch baby, ain’t nothing to play with!!
Then there’s the sauce. THE SAUCE! Starts with Frank’s Red Hot sauce cause you know, all good buffalo wings start off with Frank’s. Honey, cayenne (can’t be shy with the spice), black pepper, butta baby, and my new favorite ingredient for buffalo wings, WHITE VINEGAR! I knowww right, bringing a ‘lil tang to the party!
What more can you ask for? A crispy, crunchy, JUICY fried wing – smothered in the sauciest of all the buffalo sauces in the land.
Dunk in creamy ranch or blue cheese if that’s your thing, and you my friend have the perfect appetizer for your upcoming Superbowl game day, your next party, or just because!!
Crispy Buffalo Chicken Wings
1 ½ tsp garlic powder
A pinch of pepper
2/3 cup cornstarch (divided)
2 lbs chicken wings, cleaned (about 20 pieces)
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp paprika
¼ tsp chopped chives
Vegetable oil for frying (see note)
A pinch of salt
Black pepper to taste Sauce:
1 bottle of frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Sauce
1/3 cup butter
¼ cup honey
1 ¼ tsp white vinegar
2 tsp garlic powder (see note)
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
Fresh black pepper
- In a bowl, mix 1/3 cup cornstarch, ½ tsp garlic powder, and black pepper.
- Coat chicken wings in cornstarch mixture. Let rest for 20 minutes.
- Add vegetable oil to a pot and place on stove between medium and medium high heat (about 330 degrees.)
- Mix all-purpose flour, 1/3 cup cornstarch, 1 tsp garlic powder, paprika, chopped chives, and a small pinch of salt. Add in black pepper to your liking and mix.
- Coat wings in flour mixture and add to oil in batches (4-5 wings at a time). Cook for 5-6 minutes (depending on size). Remove to a paper towel lined plate.
- Increase heat on stove to about 375 degrees (between medium high and high heat). Allow oil to sit and increase in temperature about 3-4 minutes.
- Add wings back into oil in batches and cook for an additional 5-6 minutes. Remove when done, chicken should be extra crispy.
- In a saucepan add hot sauce and butter over medium heat. stir until butter melts.
- Mix in honey and white vinegar. Add in 2 tsp garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and black pepper. Mix until all ingredients are combined.
- Toss wings in sauce while hot and crispy. Serve with blue cheese or ranch!
- If you use fresh oil (meaning new oil right out of the bottle), your wings will be on the lighter side. NO WORRIES – this is normal and will not mess up this dish. However, if you prefer wings with a browner color, use oil that has been previously used for frying.
- When making the buffalo sauce, adjust the seasonings to your liking. After I added the amount of seasonings above, I added additional garlic powder and little salt to my buffalo sauce so this is really up to you! Add as much seasonings as you like!