Homemade Pie Crust
Homemade Pie crust is one of those recipes that really makes me smile!! When its time to make homemade pie crust, it means the seasons are changing, fall is here, and its time to BAKE, BAKE, & BAKE some more!!
I love baking in general, but it’s something about doing things homemade! I love when I am able to give someone a dish and I can throw in “Oh yea, this was homemade!” And did I mention, the filling possibilities for this pie crust are endless! Apple, cherry, sweet potato, pumpkin, pecan – believe me I can go on and on – and on!
You only need one bowl to mix up this pie dough. Also, make sure that all of your ingredients are cold! Cold ingredients are going to ensure that we get a flaky, buttery crust & why would you want anything other than that!?!
I also LOVE the fact that with pie dough you get enough for TWO pie crusts!! That’s right, not ONE, but TWO. Just make sure to use 9-inch pie pans when baking! This recipe is so simple (seriously, I cant say the enough!) It is soooo easy to make & it only requires a few, simple ingredients!
Homemade Pie Crust
1 stick of cold butter
½ cup cold butter-flavored shortening (I used Crisco)
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
½ cup ice cold water (add more in tablespoons only if dough is too dry)
- In a mixing bowl, add in flour, sugar, and salt. Whisk together to combine ingredients.
- Using a cheese grater, grate in cold butter and cold shortening. If you do not have a cheese grater, cut butter and shortening into very small cubes.
- Mix ingredients until lumps start to form.
- Add in ice cold water. Mix until ingredients begin to form a dough.
- Using your hands mix the dough together and form a ball. Form dough ball into a flattened circle and cover with plastic wrap. Place in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Remove from refrigerator and uncover. Split dough into two even balls (these will be your two pie crusts).
- Place into a pan and add desired filling or recover with plastic wrap and store in refrigerator until ready to bake.
- Use ice cold water, butter, and shortening to get the best flaky, buttery pie crust.
- This recipe will only make 2 pie crusts if using 9-INCH PIE PANS! If a larger pan is used, you will not get 2 pie crusts.