Pizza Lasagna, or as I like to call it “Pizzagna!” This lasagna is literally the best thing I think I’ve ever eaten (only until my next meal of course ha!) It’s filled with deep layers of flavor and pizzazz that brings that restaurant feeling to your dining room table.
I always love to bring together two (or more!) dishes that I enjoy together to create something new and amazing! And, trust this was definitely the perfect combo! My family loved, loved, LOVED this recipe (did I emphasize love enough?) Seriously, just ask the empty baking dish that was once filled with this deliciousness! The layers of this lasagna or “pizzagna” ran deep and were very similar to a deep-dish pizza you know Chicago style which gave it more of all the feels!
While I was writing out this recipe, the foodie inside wanted to go all in and just create this large pasta pizza madness consisting of all of my favorite pizza toppings. So many toppings came to mind: bacon, hamburger, ham, pepperoni, Italian sausage, peppers, onions, olives, mushrooms you name it! HOWEVER COMMA one that should never and WILL NEVER be allowed is you know … say it with me … PINEAPPLES – don’t you even dare.
Any who, I snapped back into reality and realized that this is not the pizza and lasagna love boat and all of these toppings, all though sounded amazing, weren’t realistic. So, I scaled down to the perfect combo that resembled my favorite – the luxurious, cheesy, meaty supreme pizza.
Now that we’re all caught up to speed, should this then be called the Supreme Pizza Lasagna, the Supreme Pizzagna, Lasagna and the Supreme? Why are these beginning to sound like superheroes (let me live!) For a sense of normalcy, we’ll just stick with Pizza Lasagna!
Featured in our banging Pizza Lasagna is pepperoni, Italian sausage (I mixed mild and sage flavored), red, green, and yellow peppers, onions and a whole lotta cheese!!
We’re using mozzarella, ricotta, and Italian blend along with my secret, now not so secret, ingredient for lasagna – sour cream! Yes, foodies this is the ingredient that will make people slap their knee in disbelief of how crazy good your lasagna is! All you do is mix some ricotta and sour cream, crack in an egg, season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of sugar and bam the best ricotta cheese mixture that you’ll ever have!
Not to mention this lasagna also featured my Homemade Marinara Sauce (recipe is available, search above!) and black olives. Y’all, I can go on and on but there’s just not enough words. You simply have to try it for yourself! Trust me there will be no disappointment!
1 box of lasagna noodles
Marinara Sauce, our homemade recipe or your favorite brand (about 42 oz.)
1 pack of Italian shredded cheese
1 pack of shredded mozzarella
1 pack of mild pork sausage
1 pack of Jimmy Dean Sage sausage
1 tbs of extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp red pepper flakes
½ red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
½ yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 orange bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 small can of unflavored black olives (used as a topping)
1-2 cloves of garlic, diced
1 egg, beaten
32 oz. of Ricotta Cheese
16 oz. of Sour Cream
1 tsp sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Fill a pot with water and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Season with salt and drop in lasagna noodles. Cook according to box instructions (about 9-11 minutes). Drain and set aside.
- In a pan add in olive oil over medium high heat. Add in mild pork sausage and sage flavored sausage. Using a spoon, break sausage apart and begin frying. Add in crushed red pepper flakes and continue to cook until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove only the sausage from the pan (leave the oil from the sausage in the pan). Add peppers and onions to pan and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 11-13 minutes. Add in garlic and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl add in ricotta cheese, sour cream, a beaten egg, and sugar. Mix well and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- To begin layering, grab a large baking dish. Add marinara, lasagna noodles, sausage, pepperoni, peppers and onion mixture, ricotta mixture. Then add Italian cheese, parmesan cheese, and mozzarella. Continue layering until baking dish is filled. Top lasagna with remainder of toppings and black olives.
- Place lasagna in oven and bake for 40-45 minutes. Bake the first 25 minutes covered with foil. Bake the last 20 minutes uncovered with foil.
- Remove Pizza Lasagna from oven and let sit for 5-7 minutes before serving.
- Dig in and enjoy!
- Be sure to reserve a little of the toppings (sausage, pepperoni, peppers, cheese) for the top of the lasagna to really give it that pizza look.
- If you do not have homemade marinara sauce that’s ok! Just use your favorite brand of marinara.
- Be sure to let this cool before digging in.